You are here
Mali Innovative sanitation services for Bamako
Improve the living conditions of low income inhabitants of 9 peripheral neighborhoods of the Municipalities I and IV of the District of Bamako.
Within 18 months, the « fecal sludge collection and transport » link in the fecal sludge management chain is reinforced for 100.000 persons (13.300 households).
- One alternative service of fecal sludge collection, with a basic formula of €30, will be installed in each Municipality.
- 20 emptiers (mechanical and alternative) will have improved their technical and financial performances.
- 2.000 supplementary households in the 9 neighborhoods will be convinced to return to professional fecal sludge collection.
- The achievements of the project will be capitalized and distributed among 35 active services/institutions in the sanitation sector.
>> List of activities >>
100.000 persons (13.300 households)of 9 peripheral neighborhoods of the Municipalities I and IV of the District of Bamako.
- Practica Foundation
- Via Water
- 18 months
1. One service of sludge collection is installed
- Selection of partner operators on basis of motivation and competences.
- Analysis of the need for alternative emptying service
- Participatory conception of kits for alternative emptying service, development of kits for pilot tests
- Formulation of a detailed protocol for hygienic emptying service (materials to use, steps, control points)
- Participatory evaluation and adjustment
- Acquirement of alternative feces collection equipment
2. Reinforcement of capabilities of the collection service
- Realization of a market study on the emptying service
- Elaboration, based on the market study, of a plan to reinforce the capacities and performance of the manual and mechanical emptiers.
- Training of emptiers (emptying in safe and hygienic conditions, elaboration of business plans and operating accounts)
- Follow-up (via a smart phone application) and analysis of commercial results of the emptiers.
- Development of a smart phone application to optimize the technical and financial performance
- Training of partner operators on the use of the application to optimize their technical and financial performance
3. Promotion of emptying services towards the population
- Elaboration of a strategy of sensitization/communication to promote the services to the households, with integration of marketing techniques of sanitation
- Sensitization/communication campaigns (house visits, radio messages, etc.)
- Implementing a call center to facilitate the connection between emptiers and households
- Elaboration of a business model for the call center
4. The achievements of the project will be capitalized and diffused
- Realization and distribution of a documentary on the activities
- Presentation of the achievements in local workshops and meetings
Would you like to support this program? Please contact Johan Slimbrouck, thematic and geographic adviser for Mali: johan [dot] slimbrouck [at] protos [dot] ngo