You are here
2017-2019 (Ecuador) The right to drinking water and sanitary facilities in rural areas
Protos and its partner Protos EC want to contribute to the implementation of the human right on water and sanitation for the rural population of Ecuador. Key words are 'sustainable' and 'participatory'.
- Sustainable access to drinking water and sanitation has improved.
- Local and national actors grow stronger to defend jointly their right to drinking water and sanitation.
- A special regulation for improved and more sustainable water management by the community is implemented.
- Processes of social control by the community are implemented: supervision of the water and sanitation policy both on local and national level.
>> List of activities >>
- access to drinking water, sanitation and improved water management: 8.870 people
- the rural population of Rioverde, Atacames and Muisne in the province of Esmeraldas , and the municipalities of Quilanga, Gonzanama and Catamayo in the province of Loja: 95.000 people
- Province of East Flanders
- Fundación Ayuda en acción
- Municipality of Berlare
- Municipality of Bierbeek
1. sustainable access
- sensitization/training of the drinking water users: hygiene, water storage, maintenance of the installation,...
- sensitization/training of the drinking water committees: price setting, bookkeeping, maintenance/management of the systems.
- protection of the source zone, under supervision of river basin committee.
2. defend the right to drinking water and sanitation
- training courses for civil society organisations about the right to drinking water and sanitation, IWRM, climate change, administration and finance.
- training courses for women managers; gender awareness, locally and nationally.
- training courses for users about their rights and duties regarding drinking water committees and the umbrella organisations.
3. special regulation for common water management
- lobbying to make the national authorities recognize this special regulation.
- promotion of the special regulation amongst drinking water committees and awareness of the advantages of this regulation for the committees .
4. social control and supervision
- support and strenghten the municipal management structure for rural water supply.
- support and strenghten the watchdog role of the civil society concerning drinking water and sanitation.
- Protos EC: the local Protos team has become a non profit organisation under Ecuadorian law, and is a Protos partner for this programme.
- CEFODI: Cooperación Esmeraldeña para la Formación y Desarrollo Integral, see also www.cefodi.org.ec
- Province of East Flanders: partner for the activities in the province of Esmeraldas.
You wish to support this programme or you wish more information? Katrien Van Hooydonk will help you: katrien [dot] vanhooydonk [at] protos [dot] ngo
See also Protos Ecuador on facebook.